Monday, September 30, 2013

Seizure's Song: Stanford Collaborators Set EEGs to Music





Neurologist and neuroscientist Josef Parvizi wanted to hear what a seizing brain would sound like if it were made audible and musical. He recruited the help of fellow Stanford professor Chris Chafe, a composer, music researcher, and an expert at converting natural signals into music. A patient of Parvizi's donated an EEG recording of one of his seizures to the project. The result is not only a haunting piece of musification that seems to several epileptic commentators to capture the deep and eerie "feeling" of a seizure, but it also set in motion an effort to develop a device that would allow non-professionals to hear the onset of a seizure by broadcasting the sounds of converted EEG tracings in real time. They call the device a "brain stethoscope." Read a piece by Bjorn Carey about the project on the Stanford News website. And listen to the moving, musical seizure
  
Parvizi explains the audio: "The patient whose brainwaves you are hearing is sitting quietly in bed and is NOT having a convulsive seizure. Around 0:20, the patient's seizure starts in the right hemisphere, and the patient is talking and acting normally. Around 1:50, the left hemisphere starts seizing while the right is in a post-ictal state. The patient is mute and confused. At 2:20 both hemispheres are in the post-ictal state. Patient is looking around, still confused, trying to pick at things, and get out of bed."

2 comments:

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

Wine Recipes said...

Great post thankyyou