Thursday, January 8, 2015

Epilepsy Research Highlights of 2014

was an important year for epilepsy research. A review in the January 2015 issue of Nature Neuroscience cites four milestones, each emphasizing a positive trend toward increasing reliance on research collaborations and data sharing. The piece starts with the International League Against Epilepsy’s (ILAE's) long-awaited update of the definition of the word “epilepsy” itself. In 2013, a person with epilepsy was stuck with a lifelong diagnosis, whether they continued to have seizures or not. Under the new definition, people may officially shed the diagnosis once they have been both seizure free for ten years and off seizure meds for the last five of those. People who have outgrown childhood epilepsy syndromes also now may consider their epilepsy “resolved.” Of course, this doesn't change the fact that both of those groups are more likely to have recurring seizures than the population at large, but it does reflect a growing international consensus that an epilepsy diagnosis may outgrow its helpfulness after years of medicine-free seizure freedom. Epilepsy has also been upgraded (or downgraded, I suppose, depending how you look at it)  from a “disorder” to a “disease,” a taxonomic shift better reflecting the gravity of the diagnosis.

The Nature piece also cites a study that resolves an old debate about the dangers of extended fever-related seizures (febrile status epilepticus). Such seizures can, and often do--the study shows--cause significant damage to hippocampi. And that that damage can evolve into hippocampal sclerosis, which can cause temporal lobe seizures later on. In other words, extended febrile seizures are serious business.

The third study Nature cites is a genetic meta-analysis drawing on more than 8,000 epilepsy patients and about 26,000 controls. The study included 12 large genotype-phenotype genetic databases from three continents to locate genetic markers for common epilepsies. It found two key risk locations for all epilepsies. The work suggests that even though epilepsy is a wildly diverse disorder--I mean disease--a wide range of common seizure types seem to have some common genetic roots.

Fourth, the Nature piece refers to research showing that while heritable genetic mutations have received the bulk of study from researchers, somatic genetic mutation--those that occur after an individual is formed, and are not heritable--may be a fairly common cause of brain malformations associated with epilepsy. These mutations are found in only a small percentage of the body’s cells and so don’t usually show up in the standard genetic analyses. The upshot, somatic mutations will be a promising area of genetic study in coming years.

Finally, the review cites a large multi-center study of the effects of anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) on the children of breastfeeding mothers who take them. The conclusion: go ahead and breastfeed your baby and continue to take your meds. “Breastfed children displayed higher IQ and enhanced verbal abilities compared with non-breastfed children,” the study concludes, whether the mother is taking AEDs or not.


What Nature didn’t describe in its review was the blossoming of research on 1) implantable devices, 2) the effective control of epilepsy through dietary treatments, and 3) the study of cannabidiol (CBD), an extract of the marijuana plant. All three are areas of quick research growth and of high excitement at the annual American Epilepsy Society meeting in Seattle a month ago. 

At that meeting, awards were also given for new and vastly improved algorithms developed for seizure recognition and prediction. In time, these algorithms, and others like them, will enable to implantable devices to shut down mounting seizure activity before it achieves critical mass. Like the milestones outlined in the Nature piece, this one was largely the product of data sharing and international collaboration. It is an excellent trend! 

1 comment:

DAVID ALLEN said...

ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS, ERECTILE DISJUNCTION/ IMPOTENCY, DIABETES FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
It wonderfully worked for me;
At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again